In our continuous quest to feature more enterprising Nigerians on “The Nigerian Entrepreneur of the Day” Section on the Spread Media Business Blog, we present to you a very romantic couple, who let love and the sole – importance of sharing messages to loved ones lead them to start a Business.
This is one lovely story I must tell you. I do believe you will enjoy the journey.
Meet out Nigerian Entrepreneurs of the Day: Abodunrin & Wamide Opanuga of Greetings World
Tell us! What’s your Story??
Right from our courtship days, we have always seen cards as a medium to convey and express thoughtful messages to one another. Over time we realized that the messages in these cards had a positive impact on us as individuals and eventually our relationship.
In 2011, while in our final year in Covenant University, we got the idea to give other people the platform to convey words of hope, affection & inspiration to those around them. We started out in a traditional way of mass-producing and selling greeting cards to individuals and various retail outlets. However, as the years went by, Nigerians began to embrace the concept of e-commerce and we saw most businesses take their products to the internet. We decided to take advantage of this trend, but merely selling greeting cards online didn’t seem like a novel idea.
After much research in 2013, the idea to start a personalized greeting card store came up. We started work on it from January 2014 and by July 2014, Nigeria’s 1st personalized greeting card store was launched. Cards on www.greetingsworld.com have been grouped into categories like: Birthday Cards, Occasional Cards, Seasonal Cards and Thoughtful Cards.
- Full Names: Abodunrin & Wamide Opanuga
- Date of Birth: Abodunrin Opanuga (December 30), Wamide Opanuga (November18)
- Education: Covenant University
- Hobbies: Reading, Surfing the net
- Name of Business: Greetings World
- Main Services of Business: E commerce store for Personalized Greetings Cards
- Target Clients: Anyone who wishes to send messages of hope, affection & inspiration.
- Location Of Business: Lagos, Nigeria
- What are your Business Strengths?
We have been able to build a strong creative design, Web development and sales & marketing team to engage the Greetings World project. This has allowed us to generate & execute ideas more effectively to improve the brand image and brand experience of Greetings World as a whole.
- What are the Initial Challenges you faced when you started your Business?
Initially when we started we faced challenges with educating our customers on how to use the card customiser on the website, however over time we noticed people adapting to it more rapidly. One other aspect we are constantly working on is reviving the culture of using greeting cards to convey heartfelt messages. Also, handling the delivery logistics can be tricky because we have to deliver the cards on the sender’s preferred date.
- What is that thing you wish you did differently? Nothing.
- Who is your Main Inspiration: Business/Personal? Our Main inspiration was the effect the exchange of Greetings cards had on our relationship
- What makes you different from your Competitors? Though there are other Nigerian greeting card stores, what makes us different is that Greetings World cards can be Personalized and delivered for the sender making the whole process of getting a greeting card for someone convenient, fun and simple.
- Would your Business still be around in 5years?? Why do you think so? Definitely, because Greetings World is gradually becoming a preferred platform to send messages of hope, affection & inspiration using products like greeting cards, gift items, etc.
- What does it take to start a Business like yours? It will take determination, passion and perseverance to start. We definitely experienced some hurdles along the way, but we chose not to give up.
- How has your Business made you a better person? Realizing that people are beginning to see Greetings World as a preferred platform to convey their messages, imposes a sense of responsibility upon us to ensure that we ourselves are exposed to such messages to provide proper direction for each card to properly convey the expected message of hope, affection and inspiration. This continuous work has ultimately enriched the way we relate with one another and has provided us with messages of hope, affection and inspiration that we now frequently exchange between one another.
- In what ways have you given back to the Society? We believe we have given the society the platform to convey words of hope, affection & inspiration to those around them.
- Do you currently have Expansion Plans? Can you share with us? We certainly do. We see Greetings World becoming a one-stop shop for gift items. We are currently working on strategic partnerships to include access to gift items on our site
- Favorite Quote you live by: You are either running with a vision, going on a mission, or burning with a passion, if you do not belong to any of these, life is reduced to a burden. –Bishop David Oyedepo.
Message to Entrepreneur
What would you like to tell the person who is scared for one reason or the other to start a Business? We would say START! No matter how much you have or where you are at the moment, start with what you have. Then, take it step by step from there and never let anyone or anything hold you back.
Message to other Entrepreneurs : Keep doing what you’re doing. Never be afraid to take risks.
Your Word for Spread Media: Keep doing what you’re doing
Facebook: Greetings world
Greetings World is your one-stop Online store for Personalised Greeting Cards.
Like we always say, feel free to share this post, someone you know needs it.
Don’t forget to like our Facebook Page www.facebook.com/spreadmediang and on Twitter:@spreadmediang so you don’t miss our updates and free giveaways.